Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy Birthday - CASE Study #71 Challenge

A second posting for today, but with all of the scheduled posts we have, this was the only time I could fit this challenge in.There will be a couple more double postings in the next few days. There is a lot going on!

Here I thought that CASE Study #70 was the last challenge with Amy Sheffer as the December Muse. I was wrong! They have one more challenge using one of her previous cards for the CASE Study #71 challenge! Yeah! Another great card of Amy's!

I was thinking about all the colours that Amy used and realized how well those colours lend itself to a masculine card. Kraft, green, brown, a touch of red - yes, definitely could be masculine. Besides, my youngest son is turning 27 in March. My, where has the time gone. A little early to be making it, but sometimes when the opportunity arises you have to grab hold with the idea and go with it. Who knows, I might not get the chance later.

So I went to my many, many scraps to see what I could find. Out of the many shades of these colours, I was able to narrow it down to the ones that would work for Owen's card. I also decided to make it square since I had a number of square envelopes.

Enough talk. Here is my masculine take on Amy's card.


Two interesting things happened when making this card. The first was a mistake I couldn't believe I had made! I usually build the front of my card separately, except for the pop-up and embellishments in case I decided to add ribbon, string or brads. So when I got to the point where I knew I wouldn't be adding any, I began to attach it all to the front of the Kraft card base. Then I picked up the card and couldn't believe I had attached the front of the card with the fold on the bottom!! The only alternative was to make a new card base and cut off the front of the mistake and attach it correctly to the new card base. I've never done that before! I can laugh about it now, but at the time I was a little upset with myself.

The second thing that started out wrong, did turn out to be a good thing in the end. I have moved most of my crafting stuff out of the room to paint the room (haven't started yet) so I was looking for my box with pearls. I wanted to use the dark brown pearls in the upper left corner. I looked everywhere at least four times! I couldn't find them anywhere! What could I use instead. Brads? Too late since I mounted the front onto the card base already. But, I should look to see what else I have in my little brad storage boxes.

You know what I found? Two years ago I had found these little alphabet discs at one of the Dollar stores I would frequent in Calgary. I could spell out Owen's name!! And this is just what I did.

Here is a side view of the card.


Looks like I didn't get all of the pop up square completely coloured dark. Oops. Well, that's it. Hope you all had a fun New Year celebration yesterday evening. It's 2012!! Hope the New Year brings you all things good, continued creative ideas, and many happy crafting hours. :)




TOOLS AND MATERIALS

SPELLBINDERS: Jumbo Scalloped Border Petites, Labels Thirteen, Petite Ovals Small
STAMPS: Hero Arts Celebrate, Inkadinkado Sentiments Chelsea
INK: Versa Fine vintage Sepia, Memento Rich Cocoa, Color Box Cranberry
Ink blending tool  

5 comments:

Barb said...

this is beautiful!

Teresa Kline said...

this is gorgeous....great details...have a fabby week!

enjoy *~*

Lucille K said...

Beautiful card, great details :)

Mina said...

wow as stunning as always Sabrina, isnt it amazing that one second they are 5 then 27...I hope you had a fantastic Christmas and I wish you and your loved one good health, wealth and happiness in 2012
Mina xxx

cbuswell said...

Just gorgeous! Love the hearts! Thanks for joining us at CASE Study! : )