A Year In Minis!




Hello everyone! Thank you for stopping by. Today I would like to show you something exciting that we have come up with at Scrapbook Parade for the new year. We'll start in January by making a small MDF shelf unit made by Kaisercraft. It is such a small unit that it makes you wonder how one could possibly get 12 little mini albums in it. You can also get little  MDF minis that are made for the shelf unit, but I opted to create our own minis. Then later in January we'll make the January mini to go in it! Isn't that a fun idea?

In this post I will show you the details of the shelf as that will be our first class. In another post I'll show you the January mini. So here is the shelf unit.


In this first photo you see the unit from the front. The papers used for this shelf are also from Kaisercraft - Devonshire. We didn't use the entire collection, just two of the double sided sheets. I used Tim Holtz Wild Honey ink to stain the edges of the unit as well as the edges of the paper. I used a Fantastix to get into the corners and grooves where the ink blending tool couldn't reach.

Now I'll show you photos of the unit as I rotate it counter-clockwise.


Made the paper flowers the old fashioned way by drawing a spiral on the back, and cutting it along the lines with the old fancy scrapbooking scissors and rolling it to the center.


For the leaves, I free cut the shapes and lightly folded down the center, then using my tweezers to pinch the vein lines on either side of the center. I added just a touch of Waterfall Stickles to the flowers with my finger.


I love the line on the paper here. It makes so that you can write a little something on the back if you wish. Or, you could just put a nice family portrait on the back, too.


On this side, coming from the back, I used the Tim Holtz die Hardware Findings to cut both the chipboard and the blue paper that is glued on top, and then bent around the corner to the side. Before attaching the paper to the chipboard I inked the edges of the paper with an ink blending tool and Tim Holtz Shabby Shutters ink. To bend the paper covered chipboard, you do it slowly while the glue is still wet and the moisture of the glue in the chipboard and paper helps it to bend without cracking. Oh, I almost forgot...I used the screw head brads in the holes of the die cut.


 So that's all the sides. One more photo to show the upper front details.


The chipboard florals I cut using the AccuCut at the store. Covered them with Lettuce and Lemonade Adirondack Acrylic Paint Dabbers. On the yellow I edged it using an ink blending tool with Wild Honey ink to make it look a little more like a flower. Then I stamped it and used a white gel pen to create a faux stitching line. With the larger green one, I cut a backing out of Bazzill Marigold, stamped it and attached it from behind and added the same faux stitching with a white gel pen. Then I attached the last of the flowers and leaf I had made with scraps.

There will a posting very soon showing a few of the detail of the tiny little January mini. Surprisingly it can hold up to 22 photos and 12 journaling tags! That's amazing! So look for the posting coming soon.

Thank you so much for dropping by to have a look, and for those of you here in Victoria that plan to take the class, at the very end of this post is a list of things that you will need to bring to class. I really look forward to teaching this class and all the 12 little minis, one per month, that will go into this little shelf unit!

Thank you for leaving your comments, questions, and request. I always love to read them.






MATERIALS & SUPPLIES:
PAPER: Kaisercraft Devonshire (discontinued and hard to find)
INK: Memento Tuxedo Black, Tim Holtz Wild Honey & Shabby Shutters
Ranger ink blending tool and foam 
Adironack Acrylic Paint Dabber: Lettuce & Lemonade
Scotch Quick Dry Glue
Chipboard (medium weight)
Tim Holtz Alterations Die - Hardware Findings
screw head brads 
Glossy Accents
Waterfall Stickles
White Gel Pen
Laser Cut Chipboard - Lamp Post
AccuCut & Layered Blossom & Blossom die

Scrapbook Parade Class

Please bring to class:
-Paper trimmer
-scissors
-pencil & eraser
-ruler
-quick dry glue
-emery board (the soft ones/foam core)
-Glossy Accents OR Matt Accents
-splat mat (non-stick mat)
-damp cloth (not wipes)
-Scor Tape (1/4” & 1/2”)
black journaling OR black or white gel pen
-a choice of the following inks depending on the colour you wish to accent from the paper - Wild Honey (what I used) & Shabby Shutter, OR Tea Dye & Shabby Sutter, OR Pumice Stone & Shabby Sutter OR Weathered Wood & Shabby Shutter (remember the inks you use in this class because you will need the same ones for the January mini class)
-ink blending tool (may need 2 or 3 sponges) 
-FantaStix if you have one


1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is so cool! Saw January's post earlier as I'm going backwards in my emails. These tiny books remind me of the mini-books that my son had as a child. TFS!