Saddlestitch Ribbon Flower Attempt #1

Okay, so since the last custom card I made for a man's wife didn't work out, I tried one last time. (These cards also coincide with Papertrey Playhouse's Challenge #3 which is now over.)

I'm really happy with this one. The colors are what was further specified and the design is unique. I meant it to look like a present but not sure it turned out. The main thing I want to focus on is the ruffly thing...

Laurie gave a fabulous tutorial on how to make saddlestitch ribbon flowers (see photo below) and I failed miserably. I watched her video several times but didn't have it handy when actually making my creations. Hers are fabulously lush and fluffy.... Mine ended up falling tragically and woefully short. :(  In the photo above, I had to hide the deficiency with a brad (thanks, Mom).

My ruffly thing is a bit better this time around (I made the ribbon longer) but still not a flower... So I threw on another brad.

These cards actually only took an hour each for me to do, a sort of record for me! I think they're quite nice!

{Supplies--all Papertrey Ink unless noted}
  • Cardstock: Blueberry Sky, Pinefeather, Stamper's Select
  • Patterned Paper: Library Ledger, Christmas Prints, Bitty Dot Basics
  • Stamps: Fillable Frames #9, Fillable Frames #4, Background Basics: Retro, Round & Round
  • Ink: Versamark, Jumbo Java (Versamagic), Aegean Blue (Versamagic), Pure Poppy, Pearlescent Ivy (Brilliance)
  • Ribbon: Blueberry Sky saddlestitch, Pinefeather saddlestitch, Pure Poppy saddlestitch
  • Dies: A2 Envelope Liner, Fillable Frames #9


Karen B. said...

I think you did a fine job with those flowers! And the brad in the middle is a perfect idea! You've got a great set of cards here!

Dana said...

I think your ribbon flowers are great Dana. And the brad is a perfect way to cover up something not so pleasing. Love the LO of these cards! Unique.

Laurie said...

Dana these look great! I love the one layer version of this flower! And the brad is a great touch!!