Birthday Invitations

I hate entertaining.

Some women love it (yes, I'm thinking of you, Stef!), but not me.

I hate purposely adding stress to my life.

Despite this, I decided my soon-to-be 4-year-old daughter deserved a birthday party.

I love to papercraft but dislike mass production.

I survived.


I started out with a prototype (see left). From this, I decided that the impressed numbers were too busy and the 4 needed pizzazz.

Aimes Wanford inspired me to break out my Linen & Canvas impression plate for the sky (Linen side). I used a Polka Dot Basics stamp  to make the 4 look like ladybug pattern (my birthday theme is ladybug/summer).

To make the invitations, I die cut PTI's Library Card in Spring Rain. All the information was typed out, printed onto white cardstock, die cut with the Library Card and adhered to the front of the invite after passing it through my Xyron after assembling everything else. I used my Corner Chomper to round the upper 2 corners with the 1/2" setting. I put a bit of magnet on the back so recipients could place it on the fridge.

The process wasn't wholly unpleasant and so the idea of making my son's birthday invites (soon!!) isn't so daunting.

Thanks for stopping by!!


{Supplies--all Papertrey Ink unless noted}
  • Cardstock: Spring Rain, Stamper's Select White, Pure Poppy
  • Patterned Paper: Bitty Dot Basics
  • Stamps: Beautiful Blooms II (flower), Big Birthday Wishes (sentiment), Up, Up & Away (clouds), Four of a Kind (stem), Polka Dot Basics
  • Ink: Brilliance Pearlescent Poppy, Memento Tuxedo Black and Versamagic Cloud White (all Tsukineko), Ripe Avocado
  • Dies: Library Card, Beautiful Blooms II #2, By the Numbers
  • Ribbon: Lemon Tart swiss dot
  • Buttons: Lemon Tart
  • Other Tools: black embroidery thread, 100 Copic (ladybug faces), Corner Chomper (We R Memory Keepers), grass punch (Fiskars), ladybug button charms (unknown)

8 comments:

Karen B. said...

Dana, these are amazing! I really like the changes you made from the original too. Wow, your daughter will sure have something grand to remember her party by!

Unknown said...

How creative these are Dana, really lovely. xxx

Lynn said...

So so sweet! Happy 4th birthday to your little one!

Emily Leiphart said...

I love this idea of using tags as invitations and magnets!! Great idea, Dana. I'm going to steal it for my son's next birthday. ;)

farmhouse-story said...

these are so darling, dana! love the dots on the 4!

Unknown said...

These are absolutely adorable!! Love the concept!! ;o)

Krista said...

LOVE the lady bug on the button and especially love the polka dots on the number

kasia c. said...

I hear ya! Multiples somehow takes the fun out of it.
These are gorgeous though, love how they turned out. :)