Color Cue{4} and 2S4Y Challenges

Turns out that my daughter had the camera and I couldn't enter 2S4Y #52 in time.
 
My daughter challenged me to come up with something for the Color Cue {4} challenge. I had earlier chosen not to participate because the colors seem to suggest a bay boy card - I thought. But then Dana chose to participate and then challenged me to try. I decided to make my oldest son a Father's day card and use another challenge- a sketch challenge, choosing the sketch form 2S4Y. Could I make these colors work for a Father's Day card?


 My son was a teen during the 'grunge' era, and being a Dad, knows about trying to make ends meet. For these reasons I thought it  would be fun  to give his card a 'grunge' or frayed 'make ends meet' look and distressed the edges of the paper pieces; all except for the navy Labels 13 frame and the pale yellow card base.

 


I used the faux stitch technique by piercing the paper about 3/16 to 1/8 inch from the edge of the paper every 1/8 inch. Using a white gel pen I connected the pierced holes. This looks very much like you used a sewing machine. I used string to embellish - again a 'poor man's' or 'grunge' look. The sentiment, from PTI's Father Knows Best, fittingly matches the theme of the card.

As for the colors working for a Fathers Day card.... I guess it works. The card base is a pale yellow and the stamped fern image behind the sentiment is also a pale yellow. This is the only yellow in the project. My son won't care because partly he is a man,but mostly because I made it for him,and it's the thought that counts for him.

Notice the distressed layers with faux stitching. It was worth the work.

3 comments:

Elise said...

FIRST OF ALL, gorgeous card! That's quite a feat when it comes to the MALE species and cards that are appropriate for them! Great job! THEN, there's that stitching! I'm GLAD to learn that it's faux stitching, because my first thought was, literally, oooohhhhh, nooooooo! How is anyone that talented with a sewing machine and THAT shape? Amazing! Either WAY it's amazing! THEN, your magnificent use of Dawn's colors and I'M EXHAUSTED just taking it all in! hee hee WONDERFUL work! Wonderful!

Dawn said...

This is fantastic! I too was in awe, until I saw the stitching was faux...and then I was in more awe that you managed to make it so perfectly even!!!

Thanks for playing along!

Heather P. said...

Wow, that faux stitching is amazing! What a fabulous masculine card!