Happy Birthday with Felt!

It's too late to enter this into Papertrey's blog hop this month (which was all about felt!) but I'm still anxious to show it off!I can't recall where I first saw this flower done. I've looked over the blogs where I thought I saw it (Betsy Veldman, Dawn McVey, Maile Belles) but couldn't find it... Perhaps it was on the Papercrafts blog? I apologize!! Regardless, I was anxious to try it and voila! I made my flower base a different color than the "petals" and I'm rather pleased with how it turned out with the leaves! The flower is simply 5 die cut scalloped flowers/circles that have been folded (4) and adhere (using hot glue) to the base (1). To do this again, I would do the 4 inner flowers one size smaller than the base flower.
I hand-stitched some twine between the patterned paper and felt border for a very unique effect! After some trial and error, I found this to be the best method:
  1. Adhere the felt to the patterned paper, keeping the adhesive below the piercing line.
  2. Mark on the paper with a pencil where you will pierce it in relation to the scalloped felt.
  3. Pierce felt in the center of each scallop and on the paper marks.
  4. Stitch twine on the diagonal going one direction only.
  5. Stitch your way back using the same method. This prevents a line of twine being seen from between the scallops!
  6. Tape ends to back of paper.

The patterned paper is adhered with dimensional adhesive (foam tape) on the bottom and the felt at the top is adhered using Scor-Tape. The dimension of the felt and twine was enough to keep it on par with the foam.

I thought of dressing up the patterned paper strip on the bottom somehow. The space in between the 4 green points looked naked. After consulting with my crew, however, I decided to leave it as is. It's great having creative consultation!!

{Supplies--all Papertrey Ink, unless otherwise noted}
  • Cardstock: Hawaiian Shores, New Leaf, card base (not PTI)
  • Patterned Paper: Green Boutique
  • Felt: Hawaiian Shores, Vintage Cream
  • Twine: Rustic Cream
  • Stamps: Delightful Dahlia
  • Dies: Delightful Dahlia (leaves), Beautiful Blooms II #2 (flower - largest size), small scalloped border
  • Ink: Raspberry Fizz (leaf edges), Memento Dewdrop Tuxedo Black (sentiment)
  • Button: Raspberry Fizz

5 comments:

Stefanie said...

Dana I thought this card was just stunning when you made it and it is!!! :) You did a fabulous job.

Sabrina said...

Love the colors! You worked hard on it and it is absolutely wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Another lovely card, and lots of work. The border came out very nicely.

Unknown said...

OMG this is awesome, I loooove that flower, it's beautiful... awwww how I wish I had YOUR cutting machine!!!!

Ruthie said...

WOW - this is gorgeous! Love the idea!

Rx