Fall Birthdays

A coworker requested a fall-themed birthday card for a dear friend. I created two from which she can pick as I will just use the other one for my mother-in-law's bday coming up.

Here is the first:


More detail:


It's rather thick for mailing with the buttons but it's still possible. Or perhaps her friend lives locally... ;)

This card also goes along with Stamping Vacation's Color Combo Challenge this month: caramel, pumpkin and sage.

The other card was created with the obvious influence of Debbie Olsen's card here. Mine is definitely not as exciting without all that bling, but I really like the added touch of Glossy Accents on the pumpkins! My card size is a touch too big, though.


Here's a closeup on the pumpkins. The picture is blurry but you can get a good sense of the shine (Glossy Accents - pumpkins; clear embossing powder - basket).


This was my very first attempt with Copic airbrush! I used B0000 (a VERY pale blue) behind the pumpkin basket (I used masking to preserve the coloring area). I meant to get only a burst of blue behind the basket area, but instead covered the whole background, minus the border where I kept the Spellbinder die. Not to worry, it's barely discernible anyway. ;)

Card Instructions:

Happy Birthday Dear Friend

Using an A2 Terracotta Tile card base, I inked the edges using Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Vintage Photo. The next layer is Dark Chocolate and then Simply Chartreuse, which was inked with Rusty Hinge. I sewed the burlap to these layers (one or both, I can't remember specifically) and then added the felt leaves on which I sewed the "veins." I layered Dark Chocolate, Terracotta Tile and Simply Chartreuse buttons and tied them with Jute twine. I glue-gunned the embellishment to the front of the leaves. The sentiment was stamped on Kraft cardstock with Dark Chocolate and Terracotta Tile ink and popped up on top.

Happy Birthday

Using a 5.5" square Terracotta Tile card base, I embossed the largest Spellbinders Labels 16 on the front. I die cut the next smaller size on Rustic White cardstock. I stamped the basket and pumpkins in Rich Cocoa Memento ink (Copic-friendly) and also stamped it on scrap paper to mask for the airbrushing. Leaving the Spellbinders die in place to keep the embossed border clean, I attempted to Copic airbrush a bit of blue background. I removed the mask, did my Copic coloring and then clear heat embossed the basket on Dark Chocolate cardstock. I cut this out and adhered it over top of the stamped basket image. There's a bit of Copic on the handles and rim of the basket as well. I also Copic-ed and cut out the additional pumpkins, popping them up over the basket. Once this was completely assembled, I used my Glossy Accents on the the pumpkins and stems, sparing the leaves. The leaves were done using Terracotta Tile and New Leaf w/Dk Chocolate colors primarily, but once I decided to use Simply Chartreuse satin ribbon, I tried coloring over the New Leaf with Simply Chartreuse colors. Not too successfully, but it's not a big deal. This whole piece was popped up within the embossed area. The sentiment was stamped in Dark Chocolate ink and written over with Chocolate Spica pen. Perhaps I'll go back and add some extra bling but it's really just a "simple" card.

{Supplies - all Papertrey Ink unless noted}

Happy Birthday Dear Friend
  • Cardstock: Terracotta Tile, Dark Chocolate, Simply Chartreuse, Kraft
  • Patterned Paper (envelope liner): Autumn Abundance
  • Stamps: Delightful Dahlia
  • Ink: Terracotta Tile, Dark Chocoalte, Vintage Photo (Tim Holtz Distress Ink), Rusty Hinge (Tim Holtz Distress Ink)
  • Felt: Terracotta Tile, Dark Chocolate, Simply Chartreuse, Harvest Gold
  • Buttons: Dark Chocolate, Terracotta Tile, Simply Chartreuse
  • Dies: Leaf Prints, A2 Envelope Liner, Fall Leaves (Cuttlebug/Provo Craft)
  • Other Tools/Supplies: burlap (unknown), Rustic Jute Twine, sewing machine
Happy Birthday
  • Cardstock: Terracotta Tile, Rustic White, Dark Chocolate
  • Stamps: Vintage Picnic
  • Ink: Rich Cocoa (Memento), Dark Chocolate, Versamark
  • Ribbon: Simply Chartreuse
  • Copics: Terracotta Tile trio, Dark Chocolate trio, New Leaf Trio, Simply Chartreuse trio, 0 and B0000 (will list individually later)
  • Dies: Labels 16 (Spellbinders)
  • Other Tools: clear embossing powder, Copic airbrush system, Glossy Accents (Ranger), Spica pen in Chocolate (Atyou)

5 comments:

Karen B. said...

Very beautiful, full of detail fall cards.

Denise Clark said...

Both gorgeous cards! I especially love the first one. Talk about texture. This one feels almost 3D! Wonderful work!

Karen McAlpine said...

Love the addition of the burlap. It is so cool! Thanks for taking the color challenge.

Laurie said...

These are so pretty! I love the texture on the background of the first! And the embossed basket really pops!

coldwaters2 said...

WOW Dana these are two wonderful creations I love them both so much thank you for joining in with the challenge.
Hugs
Lorraine x