Mother/Daughter Crafty Time

So wonderful to have my Mom visiting from Victoria for a week! It wouldn't be time well spent if we didn't have some crafty time together. ;)

Yesterday, we finally decided on 2 challenges to focus on and carve a bit of time away for: ColourQ and Deconstructed Sketch [graphics below]. I've always enjoyed the ColourQ combos but am intimidated by figuring out matching colors with my stock. Kasia seems to do just fine with this and, with my mother to help me, I took the plunge.


At first attempt with Papertrey Ink's Bloom Builder 3 die, I was unsuccessful at getting it to cut through cardstock. I sent it back to PTI only to have it returned: it was deemed fit. So I was grateful to discover that the key was multiple shimmed passes through my Cuttlebug. I'm ecstatic because these flowers really are gorgeous. I alternated layers of Berry Sorbet and Summer Sunrise cardstock. I hadn't been going to use Berry Sorbet as it is somewhat dark, especially after I sprayed the flower with Tsukineko's Shimmer Goosebumps, but whatever.

I started by stamping some Aqua Mist cardstock with Tim Holtz's Spring Distress Ink: Peacock Feathers. I was so excited when he came out with a more turquoise-y color! I also used this ink to ink the edges of a white card base. That background stamp is Splatter from Impression Obsession... It may just be my favorite background ever! I love to mist backgrounds but this was very simple and, obviously, matches my other inking. I also used this ink with Papertrey Ink's Half and Half stamp/die.

I added a strip of Summer Sunrise cardstock that I inked with Spiced Marmalade. I had meant to corrugate it with my Fiskars tool, but completely forgot. :(  I added a strip of Berry Sorbet twill and the flower.

The sentiment was stamped on one of My Favorite Things Mini Wavy Pennants die cuts.

Thanks for stopping by! I hope to get another chance to craft with my Mom before she heads back home!


{Supplies}
  • Cardstock: Stamper's Select White, Berry Sorbet, Aqua Mist, Summer Sunrise (all Papertrey Ink)
  • Stamps: Splatter (Impression Obsession), Half & Half (Papertrey Ink), Hope (Paper Smooches)
  • Ink: Peacock Feathers and Spiced Marmalade Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Ranger)
  • Dies: Half & Half and Bloom Builder 3 (Papertrey Ink), Mini Wavy Pennants (My Favorite Things)
  • Other Tools: Berry Sorbet button and twill ribbon (Papertrey Ink), white embroidery floss, Shimmer Goosebumps texture spray (Tsukinkeo)

5 comments:

Jen Mitchell said...

That flower is gorgeous! Great take on the sketch challenge too! Thanks for joining us at colourQ!

Lynn said...

Dana, this is beyond gorgeous. So glad you and your mom got to craft together!

Sylvia said...

Beautiful card, Dana, that is one beautiful flower! Thanks for joining us this week at the ColourQ and sharing your card.

Karin Ã…kesdotter said...

So beautiful! LOVE your take on those wonderful colors! Hugs, Karin

Karen B. said...

So neat to hear that you got to spend some time with your mother. I can see where you get your talent from! This card is amazing, the punch of color really makes an impact.