Happy Birthday To You and a Bookmark

I finally got to play with All Booked Up (stamp set) and the bookmark die, not to mention Beyond Basic Borders (stamp set) which is an older PTI set. I also got to test out my Fiskars paper crimper and Imaginisce i Rock!


I'm quite pleased with this cute little project (remember that you can click on the photo to zoom in)! This is my first time "Photoshopping" a picture and I don't like how the Hawaiian Shores cardstock looks in it... I'm sure I'll improve with practice.

I've always loved this tree image from Beyond Basic Borders and when I saw it while doing some rearranging, I knew it would be perfect to test out my i Rock on (link above).

A little about the i Rock (link above). At first, I thought it was something that no scrapper (as I tend to call papercrafters ;) ) would really need. After all, there are self-adhesive rhinestones at the dollar store. After doing a little research, however, I found that this is a much more cost effective solution AND it can replace brads and pearls as well as rhinestones, in your supply collection. It also adds all sorts of fun possibilities, such as mirrors, and it can be used on things other than paper!

Card Construction: After die-cutting Mat Stack 3, I stamped the image using Brilliance Dewdrop Graphite Black. After running the whole thing through my Xyron, I adhered it to a scrap of Hawaiian Shores cardstock and carefully cut around the outside to give the focal image a mat. I positioned the Glam Rocks: Color Fusion pieces and used the i Rock tool to "melt" them on. I did notice a little bit of adhesive seepage, but I think I may have held the tool in place a bit too long at times. I then ran a strip of Raspberry Fizz cardstock through my Fiskars paper crimper, adhered it to the matted focal point and tied some Hibiscus Burst Bitty Dot ribbon over it.

The card base was done with Glimmer Mist. I used painter's tape along the edges to create a border and keep the card flat while working with a wet product (see my observations here--an added observation would be to keep your card elements AWAY from the misting area!). Tip: Place the tape on your arm, adhesive side down, to help get rid of any tackiness that might rip your cardstock when you pull it off (thanks, Mom!).

The sentiment is from All About You and is stamped on linen vellum with Hibiscus Burst and the Graphite Black inks.I adhered it using my Xyron again (you seriously need one for vellum and the like!) and trimmed the one edge using good, old-fashioned paper edger scissors! This is sort of a big deal for me because I always tell my mom how prehistoric her collection is... She's had them since 1995!

The focal point is attached to the card with dimensional adhesives.

Bookmark Construction: After cutting out the bookmark on Hawaiian Shores cardstock (the reinforcement rings are done with Raspberry Fizz), I stamped it with the border that matches the focal image on the card using Versamark Dazzle: Frost ink. It's not very noticeable in the "Photoshopped" pic above so please see the photo to the left. The tiny dots are from the centre of the reinforcements (I put a reinforcement on each side of the bookmark hole).


The focal statement, from All Booked Up, was stamped on Raspberry Fizz as well, using Versamark ink and then heat embossed with white powder. I then used Spellbinders Standard Circles (small) to cut and emboss it. The linen vellum mat is cut and embossed with Spellbinders Petite Scalloped Circles (lg) to match the scallops on the card.



The back is stamped with my favorite phrase from All Booked Up (click to zoom in and read) in Fresh Snow ink. A little inky in places but I'm okay with it.

Lastly, attach a strip of Hibiscus Burst Bitty Dot ribbon to match your card et voila! Tu as finis!

{Supplies--all PTI unless noted}
  • Cardstock: Stamper's Select; Hawaiian Shores; Raspberry Fizz; Linen Vellum
  • Stamps: All Booked Up; Beyond Basic Borders; All About You
  • Ink: Brilliance Dewdrop Graphite Black; Hibiscus Burst; Versamark Dazzle: Frost; Versamark; Fresh Snow
  • Ribbon: Hibiscus Burst Bitty Dot
  • Other tools: Mat Stack 3; Fiskars paper crimper; Bookmark die; tiny scalloped Fiskars Paper Edgers scissors; Glimmer Mist: Midnight Blue, Viva Pink, Forest Green; Xyron; i Rock and Glam Rocks: Color Fusion pieces

No comments: